Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

For Faculty/Staff Researchers

Get involved with undergraduate research:

Become a research supervisor or recruit an undergraduate research assistant by registering in the Undergraduate Research Experience database.

Apply for a Chancellor’s Undergraduate Research Award (CURA) to employ a student as a research assistant at no cost to you or your department. [Note: A student must have demonstrated financial need, as determined by the UIC Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, to qualify for a CURA.]

Information on CURA program

Help students get credit for the work they do with you Heading link

Students can often get credit for the work they do with you, usually their major department or your department. They must meet with the academic advisor in their degree-granting college to select the best option for their graduation plan. Students can explore available credit offerings here, in addition to searching the undergraduate catalog course description.

Engage in best practices in mentoring undergraduate research Heading link

We value the work that you are doing in collaboration with UIC undergraduates, and seeks to support you as you grow in your your mentoring practice. Here are some readings that we recommend.

To help facilitate clear communication and transparent evaluation processes, we recommend that faculty and students set up a research experience plan with the help of this template.

Fund your work with undergraduate researchers Heading link

Faculty conducting grant-funded research should contact their program officers to inquire about adding supplements to pay undergraduate researchers, for example through an NSF REU supplement, an NIH R25 supplement or through an NSF REU research site development grant. The Division of Chemistry for the Council on Undergraduate Research offers these tips.

Funding for your individual students to travel to conferences is sometimes available through professional organizations such as Council on Undergraduate ResearchARSCPsi Chi, etc. To help your students apply for competitive external research fellowships such as the Fulbright, the Goldwater or the DAAD/RISE programs, refer them to UIC External Fellowships.

Our office can also provide UIC partners with data or student stories and is available to work with UIC faculty and staff and the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research or UIC Advancement on grant applications and funding appeals centered on the high impact practice of undergraduate research.

Get more information and resources from the Council on Undergraduate Research Heading link

The Council on Undergraduate Research webpage page provides news, opportunities and links to their informative social media feeds. Their faculty resource page can help you locate collegial organizations and societies, award possibilities, publication opportunities, and more.


Send us your news or request to join our listserv by sending an email to